Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hello pirate, how do you do?

hellopirate2 joined Paint Avant-Garde when we were still just a ramshackle, eclectic collection of digital scribbles, so he's a bit of a PA-G pioneer. His artworks feature drugs, alcohol, sailors, prostitutes, and so many other lovely topics. I recently had a chance to interview him:

I think it's awesome that you're currently living in South Africa since that's a place I've always wanted to visit. What brought you there, and what country are you from originally?

Well I was born and raised in South Africa, it's a hard life, riding zebras to school, living in huts and fighting lions in my garden. Haha just kidding! No South Africa is a great place and I'm proud to live here it's a very diverse country. My native tongue is Afrikaans, it kind of sounds like Dutch. It was created by the Dutch settlers here in South Africa in the 1600's. I live near the coast and I just can't get enough of the ocean.

You have many intriguing artworks on PA-G, and I’d like if you could explain a few. I love your artworks "Witch Hunt" and "Witch House". What's the story behind the pig?

Oh those were hard to draw. Well, it all started when I read "Lord of the Flies" a book we had to do for school. It's about these kids getting stuck on island, where one of the kids stumble upon a pig's head rotting in the sun. The kid was hallucinating and thought the pig spoke to him, so well that's where I got the whole bewitched idea. And "Witch House" was when I was browsing through pictures of abandoned homes while browsing the net when I had the inspiration to draw.

 

What about "Praise Propane"? It looks like this man can give one hell of a sermon.

Well, I had the inspiration from a song I was listening to: "Pendulum - Propane Nightmares." I also saw the music video, which was about this group of people in a cult with this crazed priest guy who wanted to poison them and a few of the them escaped luckily. Haha I don't know it's just a good song really.


Tell me about "hOT mAMMA". This is seriously the sexiest dolphin I've ever seen.

Yet again I get most of my creative ideas from songs, but this band "Jax Panik - Dinosaur" is a local band but quite popular in South Africa. The song mostly goes about sex, rock-stars,  guitars and random fruit shaped things. The music video is also mostly Caribbean or Jamaican landscapes with dancing fruits and fish and it was just really hard not to draw anything about that song. It had a big effect on me haha.


A few of your artworks have some really good tattoos ("You Suck" and "Sailor", for example). Alcohol and mustaches also come up from time to time. Hell, I've even seen armpit hair more than once in your artworks...these are all very masculine themes. What other themes do you like to draw?

Well those are my most favorite things in the world so I can't help but draw them. Urm well I went through an emo phase a few years ago, but now I pretty much draw anything. I like drawing people mostly and a bit of landscape and cities as well. I try to think outside the box mostly because bland, boring art is a real waste I think haha.


Is digital doodling your only creative outlet, or do you have others (and if so, what are they)?

No, I do draw traditionally with a pen or pencil most of the time, but I also paint and have made a few embarrassing sculptures. But so far the most fun must have been to draw for PA-G. I do have a few other websites where I post other art with a bit more hard thought behind them:
http://www.facebook.com/l/fe32afAAgcOTX0Wr7e3dwVi-MPA/pe2te2r.deviantart.com/
and http://www.facebook.com/peter.go.poop.chantler

And finally, what’s your favorite color and why is it the best color in the world?

Well, I'm not sure really but I think after I looked at most of my houses I have built on Sims3 they're almost all in shades of green! Inside and out haha. I think it's my favorite color because everything just looks better in that shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment