Sunday, April 10, 2011

Making a living from death

A few years ago I traveled through Vietnam and was constantly amazed by the beauty and ugliness of the place. While visiting the ancient capital of Hue -- also the site of one of the bloodiest battles of the Vietnam War --  I was shocked by the scene of roadside vendors selling helmets, medals, and other equipment or insignia from fallen Vietnamese and American soldiers. In particular I was disturbed by the sale of rusted American dog tags, some 40 years after the battle. The men who sold these artifacts looked poor and downtrodden, not selling the items for spite but simply to survive. They smiled at me with tired faces and tried to sell me their wares, murmuring vague phrases in English. They seemed to have no idea that anyone would be offended by their enterprise.

Out of respect for the dead, I've blurred the dog tags in this photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment