Friday, February 25, 2011

Cats vs. Lizards

Once during my college days, I visited a girl who I was dating in New Haven, Connecticut. She was a family friend of a Yale professor of medicine and she was babysitting his 8-year old son that day. I grew up with little exposure to kids so I really didn't know how to treat this youngster, but this awkwardness quickly dissolved. The kid was a child prodigy and a little expert on lizards and other reptiles, and he had an array of lizard books laid out on the table. He proceeded to school me on the greatness of lizards.

At that time, I was going through a bit of a cat-obsessed phase, so we argued over which animal was the superior, and I somehow got the idea to sketch an enslaved lizard populace serving royally dressed felines. The boy was a bit of an artist himself, so he started his own set of sketches, and the next thing I knew we were in an all-out artistic war to see who could prove the worth of their respective animal.

It's in the spirit of this artistic struggle that Paint Avant-Garde announces its first art competition: Cats vs. Lizards. The competition starts immediately and will finish at the end of Sunday, March 6th. You can compete and submit as many artworks as you want by uploading artwork at PA-G and tagging it with 'cats vs lizards.' We'll judge who produced the best artwork, and this will settle once and for all which animal is the better. May the best animal win.

No comments:

Post a Comment